For more than 20 years Sean Grygiel has worked cross-functionally in nearly every aspect of intellectually property and technology transactions and commercialization. Sean is a business-minded attorney, comfortable advising the board, C-Suite, as well as entrepreneurs and founders. He regularly counsels start-ups and multi-national companies on developing, licensing, and asserting IP and tech portfolios. Represented industries include technology and software (including fintech, ad-tech, and gaming) , logistics, life sciences and medical devices, foodtech, and consumer products.
Sean’s experience includes acquisitions ranging from individual tech transfers to the IP portions of large publicly traded companies. He has negotiated various technology and IP licenses, R&D, supply and service agreements, SaaS, open-source and user agreements, and is experienced with data privacy and security requirements, including CCPA and GDPR.
Sean leverages his extensive knowledge of IP asset valuation within the relevant market to execute strategies aligned with a company’s business plans, offering strategic legal and business advice on commercializing, managing and structuring IP and tech portfolios. As a co-founder of a mobile startup, Sean shares his clients’ entrepreneurial mindset. Not only has he helped businesses bring early-stage technologies and products to market, but he also serves as outside general counsel to various companies.
Sean has experience with all phases of US and foreign patent and trademark prosecution, and has implemented strategic prosecution programs in support of product development, litigation, licensing, and M&A activities.
- Sean’s recent experience includes:
- Negotiated cross-border development agreement for foodtech company, leading to $40M investment and celebrity sponsorship for brand.
- Developed tiered SaaS offering for venture backed data analytics company, coordinating international tax and data privacy/security requirements.
- Negotiated exclusive manufacturing and supply agreement for fashion tech manufacturer, leading to co-development and co-branding opportunity valued at $200M+.
- Implemented IP strategy and licensing program for blockchain enabled stored value card system, focused on providing funds in disaster situations.
- Negotiated IP transfer and technical diligence relating to $500M acquisition of a start-up medical device company resulting in substantial savings to the purchaser.
- Performed a complex, FTO study of drug delivery systems involving hundreds of patents complicated by multiple litigations and inter partes reviews.